Friday, December 18, 2009

TerraTrike Tour Recumbent Trike

The Tour is the progression of the original TerraTrike design developed in 1996 and has been refined into the perfect long distance trike. The chro-moly frame and upgraded components make this the perfect touring platform that allows you to find your own road.

With a standard 27 gears and slightly lighter set-up, it allows you to pack tents, sleeping gear, and camping supplies in optional side panniers or trunk bags without creating any instability or unwanted vibrations. Rock solid and comfortable for the long haul.

bought one of these in the spring of 2009. I have ridden it to work for about 1400 km this summer and fall so far. It has held up well mechanically, other than requiring the typical adjustments to brakes and shifter cables, the same as any new bike. I had one problem with it, and that is that the aluminum frame of the seat cracked. TerraTrike, the manufacturer, sent me a new one without any hassle, it arrived in a few days, and it was easy to replace myself.

Click here for more info on Recumbent Trike Bikes

I am on the large side but this trike can handle 300 lbs including rider and gear, and I have to say that it feels very sturdy and well put together. It handles well, is easy to ride, and is super-comfortable. I can ride it for hours without any back, butt or wrist pain, unlike a regular bicycle. I didn't bike for years because of a tailbone injury, and on my Tour, I rode to work over 30 times this summer on a route that was two hours and 46 km round trip.

I test-rode a couple of aluminum-framed trikes, and in comparison, the steel frame of the TerraTrike Tour is much more yielding and less harsh. It doesn't swallow potholes and huge bumps like a suspended bike would, but it is fairly forgiving.

Riding it in traffic feels a lot safer than you might imagine. I am from a city that is not recognized as a bike-friendly place. Drivers see the trike and actually notice it more than I think they notice upright bikes. I think it is due to the strange appearance of it on the road. I use lights and reflectors front and back, and I ride it on busy streets without a problem.

The one downside to it, that prevents me from giving it five stars, is that it gets a bit squirrelly at high speeds. I have ridden it up to 50 km/h according to my gps, but I don't feel stable at anything over 45. The feeling of stability has increased the more I've ridden it though. At first I was scared to go over 30 km/h, so there is a period of getting used to riding fast.

I think this machine is a lot of value for the money, and now that winter is here I'll be waiting anxiously to get out on it once the snow melts.

Click here for more Recumbent Trike Bike Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment